West Shore Parks & Recreation (WSPR)
POSITION: Facility Maintenance Worker III
SALARY: $30.31 to $32.32 per hour plus benefits (2023 rates)
CLASSIFICATION: J09a – Facility Maintenance Worker III
HOURS OF WORK: 80 hours bi-weekly – Sunday to Wednesday 4:00PM to 12:00AM; and Thursday
8:00AM to 4:00PM. Shifts can be changed based on organizational needs.
STATUS: Regular full time
CLOSING DATE: March 14th
, 2023, at 12:00PM
COMPETITION #: 23-29
SUMMARY: Under the general supervision of the facility maintenance supervisor, and possibly work guidance
and work direction of a lead hand, performs a wide variety of semi-skilled maintenance and custodial duties
including the use of specialized equipment in various parts of the complex. Monitors and records the
operation of the arena refrigeration plant and is fully conversant with emergency procedures of the plants.
JOB DUTIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES
• Performs building and equipment maintenance related to painting, plumbing, janitorial equipment,
arena/ice making equipment, heating systems and pool operations.
• Performs building cleaning functions such as mop washing and scrubbing floors, disinfecting
washrooms and change rooms, cleaning public areas and replenishing supplies.
• Maintains contact with teams, organizations, and the general public and advises on facilities use and
availability according to the booking schedule.
• Monitors and records the operation of the arena refrigeration plant, checks oil levels and pressures,
refrigerant temperature and pressure, cooling water and brine temperature, and be fully conversant
with emergency procedures.
• Operates refrigeration equipment and maintains ice surfaces in the arena; assists in maintaining the
Indoor Sports Complex (ISC).
• Tests water samples from pools and ensures chlorine, Ph and alkalinity levels conform to health
department requirements. Vacuums and brushes pool walls, gutters and surfaces, backwashes pool
filters and disinfects pool decks.
• Sets up tables, chairs, and other items as required by users’ contract specifications.
• Cleans and makes minor repairs to hair and lint strainers on pump units and chemical feed systems and
monitors the operation of a variety of pumps and filters, logging results and making adjustments.
• Make routine security checks in public areas.
• Completes records and reports, as well as updates maintenance logbook.
• Assists in training of new employees with various work procedures.
• Other duties as required.
• High school graduation and two years’ experience as a Facility Maintenance Worker I and II or
• Must posses a BC Refrigeration Operators certificate or better; and a Pool Operators certificate level 1
• Knowledge of building maintenance, building cleaning, and building trades, including health
department regulations governing the operation of public pools and rules and regulations which
govern public indoor arenas, where applicable.
• Knowledge of materials, tools and equipment used in janitorial and building maintenance work,
including WHMIS, and the safe handling of chemicals, corrosive materials, and pressurized gases.
• Experience in building cleaning and maintenance.
• Ability to work with minimum supervision in carrying out semi-skilled mechanical, building
maintenance, and cleaning tasks.
• Excellent interpersonal skills in communicating effectively with staff and the general public.
• Ability to work in and promote a team approach and environment.
• Incumbent must have sufficient physical strength and stamina to perform the required duties.
• Ability to work a variety of shifts, including: days, afternoons, evenings, and weekends, as required.
• Valid class 5 BC drivers’ licence is required.
• First Aid/CPR certificate would be an asset.
A clear and current criminal record check is a condition of employment and is the financial responsibility of
the successful candidate.
NOTE: Due to WCB Regulations, steel-toed shoes are a requirement for this position.
Resumes and cover letters quoting competition 23-29 to be received prior to March 14th
, 2023, at 12:00PM,
Attention: Human Resources, West Shore Parks & Recreation Society, 1767 Island Highway, Victoria BC V9B 1J1,
Fax: (250) 478-8363; email: [email protected]
This is a union position. Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Posted: February 28th
All regular status employees and their immediate family members are eligible for an annual membership
valued at $985. This includes access to the pool, weightroom, drop-in fitness classes, and skating rink.
Benefits for regular employees include the following:
Annual Vacation: Year 1 – prorated based on 15 days per year and increases with years of service.
Sick Leave: Year 1 – prorated based on 12 days per year and increases with years of service. Carry over
provision from year to year, based on collective agreement.
Personal Emergency Family Leave – 3 days per year
Access to Employee & Family Assistance Program (EFAP): confidential counselling
Long Term Disability Insurance
Participation in the Municipal Pension Plan – plan your retirement!
Extended Health & Dental: optional benefits
• Extended Health Plan
• Dental Plan
Group Life Insurance
• Basic Group Life Insurance Accidental Death & Dismemberment
• Optional Dependent Life Insurance: optional benefit
• Optional Group Life Insurance and optional Accidental Death & Dismemberment: optional benefit
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.