Website West Shore Parks & Recreation (WSPR)
SUMMARY: West Shore Parks & Recreation Society (WSPRS) is seeking an energetic, organized, and positive-
minded Facility Maintenance Worker to keep things clean, in excellent working condition and help this well-
oiled machine deliver the very best of recreation the Westshore has to offer! Do you like working afternoon
shifts? Do you aspire to drive a Zamboni and be the invisible and unstoppable team that helps create the
magic? Look no further! These individuals will need to be quick on their feet, have a positive attitude with the
ability to adapt and multi-task. WSPRS is located on the Island Highway and features 108 acres of amazing
facilities and green space. These individuals will have the opportunity to learn about WSPRS maintenance
department and potentially move up the ranks to call this their permanent home.
JOB DUTIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES
• Sweep, mop, wash floors and arena stands; vacuum carpeting, area rugs, upholstered furniture; clean
and disinfect bathrooms and fixtures; pick up debris and empty trash containers; clean windows;
perform other duties as required.
• Performs building and equipment maintenance related to painting, plumbing, janitorial equipment,
and pool operations.
• Performs building cleaning functions such as mop washing, and stripping, washing, and scrubbing
floors, disinfecting washrooms and changerooms, cleaning public areas, and replenishing supplies.
• Maintains contact with teams, organizations, and the general public, and advises on facilities’ use and
availability according to the booking schedule.
• Tests water samples from pools and ensures chlorine, pH, and alkalinity levels conform to health
department requirements. Vacuums and brushes pool walls, gutters, and surfaces; backwashes pool
filters and disinfects pool decks.
• Sets up tables, chairs, and other items as required by users’ contract specifications.
• Dusts furniture and fixtures, washes, and cleans doors and windows, dust mops, collects, and disposes
• Cleans lighting fixtures and changes lights, ceiling panels, globe covers, and performs minor repairs.
• Notifies supervisor of needed repairs to rooms and fixtures, including, but not limited to, lighting,
plumbing, and other structural items.
• Maintains the security of the building by ensuring that all doors and windows are locked at the end of
each shift or when areas of the building are not in use, and by patrolling the facility to prevent theft
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
• High school graduation, or equivalent, and up to 1 year directly related experience, including some
previous technical background and building maintenance, and custodial training as applicable.
• Pool Operators certificate level 1 and 2 are required.
• Knowledge of building maintenance, building cleaning, and building trades, including health
department regulations governing the operation of public pools, and rules and regulations which
govern public indoor arenas, where applicable.
• Knowledge of materials, tools, and equipment used in janitorial and building maintenance work,
including WHMIS, and the safe handling of chemicals, corrosive materials, and pressurized gases.
• Experience in building cleaning and maintenance.
• Ability to work with minimum supervision in carrying out building maintenance and cleaning tasks.
• Ability to communicate effectively with staff and the general public.
• Ability to work in and promote a team approach and environment.
• Incumbent must have sufficient physical strength and stamina to perform the required duties.
• A valid class 5 BC drivers’ licence is required.
• First aid/CPR certificate would be an asset.
A clear and current criminal record check is a condition of employment and is the financial responsibility of
the successful candidate.
NOTE: Due to WCB Regulations, steel-toed shoes are a requirement for this position.
Resumes and cover letters quoting competition 23-33 to be received prior to March 21st, 2023, at 12:00PM
Attention: Human Resources, West Shore Parks & Recreation Society, 1767 Island Highway, Victoria BC V9B 1J1,
Fax: (250) 478-8624; email: [email protected]
This is a union position. Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Posted: March 14th, 2023.
All regular status employees and their immediate family members are eligible for an annual membership
valued at $985. This includes access to the pool, weightroom, drop-in fitness classes, and skating rink.
Benefits for regular employees include the following:
Annual Vacation: Year 1 – prorated based on 15 days per year and increases with years of service.
Sick Leave: Year 1 – prorated based on 12 days per year and increases with years of service. Carry over
provision from year to year, based on collective agreement.
Personal Emergency Family Leave – 3 days per year
Access to Employee & Family Assistance Program (EFAP): confidential counselling
Long Term Disability Insurance
Participation in the Municipal Pension Plan – plan your retirement!
Extended Health & Dental: optional benefits
• Extended Health Plan
• Dental Plan
Group Life Insurance
• Basic Group Life Insurance Accidental Death & Dismemberment
• Optional Dependent Life Insurance: optional benefit
• Optional Group Life Insurance and optional Accidental Death & Dismemberment: optional benefit
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.