Website West Shore Parks & Recreation (WSPR)
SUMMARY: Are you looking for an excellent opportunity in recreation, with loads of enrichment and
satisfaction working with children providing amazing afterschool care/summer camp programs in the
Westshore? West Shore Parks & Recreation Society (WSPRS) is seeking an individual to be one of our
afterschool care team leaders through the school year and then transition into the summer camp team leader
for July and August. This role will generally not be required for winter or spring break camps when school is
out, which is an ideal time to take vacation.
While performing the duties of the afterschool care team leader role from September to June, the
responsibilities include some administration time each day to complete office tasks, as well as participating in
program as a leader; assisting with staffing needs, organizing equipment and supplies, driving a 24-passenger
bus, program planning, facility scheduling, and ensuring that licensing standards are met, all while being in-
ratio within the program, and actively participating and engaging with kids. The afterschool care program has
access to our 108-acre property, including a pool, ice rink, indoor and outdoor sports courts, playing fields, and
a walking trail to provide an exciting and diverse program. In July and August, the role transitions to a full time,
summer camp team leader and will be responsible for providing leadership in planning, supervision, and
evaluation of a variety of summer day camps, specialty camps, and licensed camps. This position will be based
out of the main Juan de Fuca Recreation Centre or Centennial Centre for Arts, Culture and Community, and is
responsible for the overall operation of summer programs including staffing, equipment and supplies,
program planning, facility scheduling, and other related duties to ensure a high standard program.
JOB DUTIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES
• Ensure licensing and program standards are consistently being met and that afterschool care and camp
leaders are adhering to WSPRS (and where applicable, licensing) policies and procedures. If there are
challenges, either problem solve or bring the appropriate issue to the supervisor’s attention.
• This position is responsible for: participating as a leader in the afterschool care program; planning,
implementing, and evaluating working with a small team while ensuring a variety of activities, including
art, imagination play, and physical literary, are occurring.
• Assist with the design of program goals and objectives to ensure overall quality of programs.
• Assist with administrative tasks such as ensuring all documentation is complete and present,
completing health and safety checks, and designing and submitting monthly and weekly calendars.
• Responsible for pre-tripping and driving a 24-passenger bus to pick up kids in the Westshore after
school each day and bringing them back on-site to the JDF recreation centre.
• Assist programmers with administrative tasks to ensure the smooth transition between the 10-month
afterschool care and the summer camp season.
• Act as a substitute summer camp leader as needed.
• Assist in completing mid-summer check-in, and end of summer performance appraisals.
• Compile reports at the end of the summer.
• Communicate with parents, staff, children, and supervisor.
• Assist with supply ordering, shopping, and distributing.
• Must enjoy working in an indoor and outdoor environment.
• Other duties as required.
• As a licensed care program, candidates must be 19 years of age.
• At least one year of post-secondary education in a related field such as: Recreation and Leisure,
Physical Education, or Education, or Child and Youth Care; or equivalent with direct experience working
with youth in a public recreation setting (minimum of 500 hours).
• 20 hours of proof of workshops/training courses is required.
• CLASS 4* drivers’ licence – don’t have one? Don’t worry, we will assist you in achieving it.
• Supervisory and/or leadership experience is required.
• Ability to adapt to new and changing programs and people.
• Ability to identify problems, initiate problem-solving, and seek solutions.
• Ability to follow established safety standards, and requirements.
• Ability to work independently, and in a team environment.
• Imaginative and flexible personality required to ensure a fun environment for all participants.
• Excellent communication, customer service, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
• Group leadership and facilitation skills.
• Knowledge and experience in program planning and running physical literacy games and activities.
• Current Emergency First Aid and CPR C is required.
• Knowledge of Intelligenz (or other registration systems) and excel spreadsheets is an asset.
A clear and current criminal record check is a condition of employment and is the financial responsibility of
the successful candidate.
Resumes and cover letters quoting competition 23-34 to be received prior to March 23rd, 2023, at 12:00PM
Attention: Human Resources, West Shore Parks & Recreation Society, 1767 Island Highway, Victoria BC V9B 1J1,
Fax: (250) 478-8624; email: [email protected]
This is a union position. Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Posted: March 16th, 2023.
All regular status employees and their immediate family members are eligible for an annual membership
valued at $985. This includes access to the pool, weightroom, drop-in fitness classes, and skating rink.
Benefits for regular employees include the following:
Annual Vacation: Year 1 – prorated based on 15 days per year and increases with years of service.
Sick Leave: Year 1 – prorated based on 12 days per year and increases with years of service. Carry over
provision from year to year, based on collective agreement.
Personal Emergency Family Leave – 3 days per year
Access to Employee & Family Assistance Program (EFAP): confidential counselling
Long Term Disability Insurance
Participation in the Municipal Pension Plan – plan your retirement!
Extended Health & Dental: optional benefits
• Extended Health Plan
• Dental Plan
Group Life Insurance
• Basic Group Life Insurance Accidental Death & Dismemberment
• Optional Dependent Life Insurance: optional benefit
• Optional Group Life Insurance and optional Accidental Death & Dismemberment: optional benefit
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.